Ebola scare after patient returns to Bahamas from South Africa 

NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC) – Health authorities say they are taking “the necessary precautions” and have so far ruled out a case of Ebola infection following the hospitalisation of a 51-year-old woman after a visit to South Africa earlier this month.

The Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) said the unidentified woman checked into the Accident and Emergency on March 15 after she visited Johannesburg two weeks ago.

“An intensive investigation is under way to determine the cause of illness. Senior health officials have confirmed, that the patient has not presented in a manner which indicates Ebola to be the likely diagnosis.

“At this time there is no confirmed case of Ebola infection at the Princess Margaret Hospital.

“According to the last Ebola Epi Alert issued on the 10th of August, 2015 by the World Health Organization (WHO), Sierra Leone and Guinea remain the only countries with ongoing intense transmission,” according to an official statement issued here.

It said that “as with any potential infectious disease case, the hospital is taking the necessary precautions and abiding by the highest protocols requisite for such cases, within international guidelines.

“The patient is being nursed in isolation. The hospital will provide updates as test results are received,” the statement added.

%d bloggers like this: